Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Thing 11

This was really, really easy to do. Signing in and creating an account really was just a user name and password. You don't have to fill in lots of information, and you can just get started working on the site right away. It is very user friendly. I found the very short introduction, not so very short and I began to get lost in all the steps to adding books, etc. So, I decided to just explore the site and see what I could find. I was able to put in the titles of books I'm reading right now and get links to postings from other readers of the same books. It was interesting to see what they thought of the books I'm enjoying and other titles that are in the same genre. That's something I haven't had before. I looked over the groups and I'm thinking it would be interesting to have students get on this site to write about books they read for homework. I could set up a group for them and they could see what their classmates read at home and get ideas on what they might like to read. I find that so many of my kids write the same titles over and over again on their reading logs because they just don't have ideas for new reads. This may be one way to get more kids to really read at home. I like the book talk group and the author chat group. It would be interesting to hear what the author says about their books in this forum.

No comments: