Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Thing 10

I think this was the easiest of all the activities for me so far. I enjoyed playing around with all the image generators. The best one for me was comic strip generator. All of them were easy to use, but this one was the friendliest in terms of saving my work to put in the blog. It only took a few minutes to make the image and type the text. To put it in the blog I just had to pull the image from my file in my computer. It was that simple. I liked the custom sign generator too, but saving my work was more difficult and I had trouble retrieving my work to put in the blog. I've used Big Huge Labs at school to make trading cards. So, I'm really familiar with that site. I can see several ways of using these in school. The trading cards will work with any content area, but I thought it might be fun to have the students make cards about themselves on the first day of school, telling things they like, don't like, favorites, places they've been, family statistics, etc. Then I could put them on a ring to share with another class and they could write letters to use throughout the year. They would know information about the person they were writing to based on the trading cards. They could even blog to each other if I get our librarian to help me set that up at the beginning of the year. The images from the generators can be used to respond to reading, leveled books, or writings that other students have done. That would be a fun way to add comments to published student work in the class library.

3 comments:

Book Nook Girl said...

These are my favorite things too! I love playing with all the images! You have some great ideas about using the trading card maker for the beginning of the year! This is a great way to help your students get to know each other!

Mrs. Evetts said...

I really liked the idea about using the trading card activity at the start of the year to get information from the kids about themselves, and then to actually be able to use this information as a writing activity. We could even have our students use this to write to each other. You could teach this to your 3rd graders and then have them teach my class how to do this. I sense that this will be a great year!!!

Nice Guy said...


The link to www.CustomSignGenerator.com is wrong so there it is...