Monday, June 20, 2011

Tool 6

I looked at the video tutorials for several of the links for this tool. This is a little overwhelming to me because it seems like some of this can be done in class with the kids. For example: Poll Everwhere lets you set up polls to ask questions and students repond. But, the kids are right there, and I can just ask and they can raise their hands or vote with sticky notes, etc. Less time, less work, right? However, I was really intrigued by Today's Meet. I love the idea of posting questions related to content and having students write their ideas and thoughts for discussion in a lab setting. I can see this working with all content areas as a way to get kids talking about content and building that knowledge base. Also, it's easy to use and will not be scary for my kids who don't get as much computer use at home.
Edmoto is an interesting site. I am nervous about using it, so I might start small with one reading group and post thinking and questions as they read. They can respond in class or at home and we can talk about their answers and thinking in class in our group. If that works well for me, I would extend it to other students in my class. I'm excited that it's similar to Twitter because I have a Twitter account but I never use it. Perhaps this will inspire me to try it again.
I can totally see these sites getting all the kids to participate. I had a student this year that struggled to respond in class, but he loved technology and using the computer like this as a medium to share his thoughts. I think it will really help with kids staying on topic and really thinking through the curriculum.

1 comment:

RCELibrarian said...

The advantage to poll anywhere is that you get a graph that will upload into a ppt slide. Then the kids can read a visual. The upgrade on inspire will do the same thing with the eggs..you can get an immediate feedback quickly and it will be visual as well.
I love to use Today's meet...it's also a way for students to continue to communicate for a while after class. You set how long that address is available. Just think of these things as ways to extend your classroom.