Thursday, June 26, 2008

Thing 7 cool tools from Google

Some of these tools were really easy to use. iGoogle - the home page that you customize was probably the easiest. I set that one up right away. It only took a few minutes to decide what I wanted on my home page and that was it. Probably my favorite of all the tools was Google Earth. I've been on Google Earth before, but this time I chose to explore a different area. I chose the seismic images and what I got was a tour of the Earth that I could pause, move, and explore. There were photographs of many of the locations, but the best part is just seeing these cities and buildings, then flying out and zooming around the world to see something else. I can see this having a great impact in my classroom because there is so much to observe and learn from each location. I like the Google Notebook, especially for my teenagers in middle school and high school. If only they could take a laptop to school and use this instead of the journals I need to buy for them each year. This could be such a leap in bringing usable technology into schools. I did try the Google Calendar. It was a little challenging for me. I couldn't get the start time for my appointments to be just right and I had a hard time figuring out how to adjust the entry so it matched the timing I needed. It was more work than I was willing to do at that time. I may have to go back later and see where I went wrong.

1 comment:

LKP said...

I haven't figured out all of the ins and outs of the Google calendar either, but like you I can find lots of good reasons to revisit it when I have more time!!! Maybe we could get to gether and figure it out together!?!