Thursday, June 19, 2008

Thing 5 ... Flickr

Wow! There's so much to look at on this site that it's a little overwhelming. It took me more than one session to look at much of the site. The world map was exciting! There's so much that can be done with that in a classroom. Judy Wallis presented a writing lesson using a photograph as the inspiration. With Flickr there are so many photographs to choose from that even the most reluctant writer would find inspiration on this site. On my first try with Flickr I put in some photos I had in my computer and organized them in groups to share with my family. That was really easy and lots of fun. Later, I worked through the tags and groups. I understand what the tags are for, but I still don't think I have a really good handle on how to put them in my own pictures yet. The groups were easy enough to figure out. I searched for different groups and you can find them for just about any interest. For example: my daughter wants to be on Broadway. There is a Flickr group that has pictures of Broadway that they share. Neat! The picture I chose was of downtown Houston. I chose it because as I move to 3rd grade this school year, Houston Proud, is a big unit that we cover.

1 comment:

Book Nook Girl said...

Sounds like you got your feet really wet with Flickr! It is a fun site to spend time exploring. I loved the world map section too! Good idea about using photos for writing lessons. You will be able to find some really interesting ones here!