Thursday, June 19, 2008

Thing 6...Mashups and more

This was really cool! I've done trading cards before with my 2nd graders. It was really challenging for them at first because they had never done anything with JPEGs before. This was new ground, but as we tackled bigger challenges in the year, like Photostory, they were very comfortable with manipulating photos in a computer program. The trading card I made shows my son Alex playing guitar. This is his Showmaster Black guitar. It's probably his favorite to play. As I went through the mashups I really liked the Flickr Toys Mapmaker. I made a map that showed all the places I've been and where I haven't yet visited. I can see myself using that in my classroom. It was very easy to use. I also had fun with Bubblr a web ap. In it I made bubbles for a comic strip using some of my daughter's favorite band members. I can see how this would be really motivational for kids. I will need to make sure I get hold of the digital cameras in my library quickly so we can use them in programs like these.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm hooked on "Trading Cards." It's brand new to me - am glad to know you had success with second graders using it!

Mrs. Evetts said...

I am glad to see that your experience with trading cards and 2nd graders hasn't scared you off from still making them. I remember the trouble they were, as well as the huge sense of accomplishment too! Thanks for making me try new things even if it was "scary." Kate