Saturday, July 18, 2009

Thing 6

ITouch is so cool! I wish I had one. I just got a Nano, so I don't think I'll be upgrading for a while. My daughter has an Itouch so I got to play with hers for this activity. I downloaded a few apps. She already had lots on her Ipod. I added Geopedia, Fact of the Day, Did You Know?, and KuGon to her apps. These were all free. I really wanted some other apps, but they had a cost attached, so I stuck to the free apps. I was really impressed with all of them.
How to use them in the library...hmm?
1. Using the book reader feature students could download books into their ipods, then meet in the library to read, discuss, and share their thoughts about the books and authors. It is eco-friendly, in that no paper is used, and you don't have to worry about losing the book (unless you lose your ipod).
2. The graphing calculator feature could be used by students in middle and high school to help with algebra and other higher level math courses. Graphing calculators are really expensive. Students use them in those classes on a regular basis. This would be essential for kids in those classes.
3. The apps for keeping track of assignments would be really useful to keep students on track. When something is due soon, your ipod will show the project/assignment, so work can be turned in on time, eliminating the possibility of forgetting it or turning it in late.
4. Let's say you start your day with Fact of the Day, and that leads to burning questions that students want to learn about. They can use their ipods to get online for more research or head to the library to use the resources there to find their answers.
5. Using the Did You Know? app students can share their thoughts about the information displayed each day, building communication and a sharing of opinions.
6. Using ActivBoards you can text in answers to questions through the use of apps.

There are lots of uses for the Itouch. I am so excited about having them in our library. Think of the active participation we could have. Of course, there are also apps for popcorn and milk, so when kids get hungry there's a snack built in, and it's the kind that won't make a mess or ruin the carpet. Ha! Ha! :)

1 comment:

nancym said...

I teach 5th grade science in a small town outside Fort Worth. Year 18 is quickly apporaching. Children, 3, in their lower to mid twenties. The second I click your blog I felt connected! I loved your landform book. Earth science is my passion. I enjoyed your teenager Animoto. My daughter is getting ready to start teaching middle school science and I think she would like it. It is so nice to see so many good samples. Thanks for playing.