Monday, July 18, 2011

choice words pt 3

Today's reading was all about getting kids to transfer what they learn at school to their lives outside of school. It's an age-old problem with no easy solution. The idea presented in the book was to build communication. Take the teacher out of it and let the kids build their thinking by really conversing with each other. "What else...?" on pg 45 has lots of ideas for discussions with kids. I felt really good with this chapter because I feel like I do lots of this already, but there is validation in reading it in print too.

The chapter after this one is about the teacher's role. We always like to be in charge and having kids be in charge of the inquiry is really hard. I tried this last year and it's amazing when you see it happening in a discussion, kids talking to each other, not trying to yell over another to be heard, but really listening to what they are saying. I'm hoping to take this even farther this year.

No comments: